I am a postdoc researcher at the Institute for Applied Software Systems Engineering (IPSSE) of Clausthal Univesity of Technology in Germany. I am a member of the management (Geschäftsführung) and lead a team of researchers working on testing and verifcation of embedded systems.
Before joining IPSSE, I worked as a researcher at Carnegie Mellon University (Silicon Valley Campus) and in the Robust Software Engineering Group at NASA Ames Research Center. I received my Ph.D. from Dortmund University of Technology in Germany, where I worked in the Programming Systems group.
falk.howar[ at ]tu-clausthal.de
+49 5323 72 8234
Clausthal Univesity of Technology
Institute for Applied Software Systems Engineering
I am interested in the development of correct and safe software systems with a particular focus on automated analysis, testing, and verification of such systems. My work is mainly based on automated generation of behavioral models of components, systems, and their environments using dynamic and static analysis techniques, e.g., automata learning, machine learning techniques, symbolic execution, or static code analysis. I like to work on problems that have a strong motivation in practical challenges. Over the past few years, I applied my research to automotive and aeronautical control software, automated air-traffic management software, and in industrial software development tools.
For a complete list check the publications page.
- Malte Mauritz, Falk Howar, and Andreas Rausch. Assuring the Safety of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems through a Combination of Simulation and Runtime Monitoring. In ISoLA 2016, 2016.
- Adina Aniculaesei, Daniel Arnsberger, Falk Howar, and Andreas Rausch. Towards the Verification of Safety-critical Autonomous Systems in Unknown Environments. In V2CPS, 2016.
- Kasper Luckow, Dimitra Giannakopoulou, Falk Howar, Malte Isberner, Marko Dimjasevic, Zvonimir Rakamaric, Vishwanath Raman and Temesghen Kahsai. JDart: A Dynamic Symbolic Analysis Framework. TACAS 2016.
- Henrik Peters, Falk Howar, Andreas Rausch. Towards inferring environment models for control functions from recorded signal data. 1st Int. Workshop on Validating Software Tests (VST 2016) at SANER 2016.
- [Best Artifact Award] Malte Isberner, Falk Howar, Bernhard Steffen. The Open-Source LearnLib - A Framework for Active Automata Learning. CAV 2015.
- Guillaume Brat, David H. Bushnell, Misty Davies, Dimitra Giannakopoulou, Falk Howar, Temesghen Kahsai. Verifying the Safety of a Flight-Critical System. FM 2015.
- Sofia Cassel, Falk Howar and Bengt Jonsson. RALib: A LearnLib extension for inferring EFSMs. DIFTS 2015. [PDF]
- Malte Mauritz, Falk Howar, Andreas Rausch. From Simulation to Operation: Using Design Time Artifacts to Ensure the Safety of Advanced Driving Assistance Systems at Runtime. MASE 2015. [PDF]
- Dimitra Giannakopoulou, Falk Howar, Malte Isberner, Todd Lauderdale, Zvonimir Rakamaric, Vishwanath Raman. Taming test inputs for separation assurance. ASE 2014.
- Sofia Cassel, Falk Howar, Bengt Jonsson, Bernhard Steffen. Learning Extended Finite State Machines. SEFM 2014.
For links and detailed descriptions check the tools page.
- jConstraints: a constraint solver abstraction layer for Java
- jDart: a framework for dynamic symbolic execution of Java programs
- PSYCO: a symbolic behavioral interfaces for Java components
- RaLib: an extension of LearnLib for Register Automata
- LearnLib: a library for automata learning
I am currently one of the managing editors of electronic communications of the European Association of Software Science and Technology (ECEASST)
- 2016: TACAS 2017, NFM 2016, ICGI 2016, ISoLA 2016
- 2015: VST2016, SEFM 2015, SOFSEM 2015, JPF WS 2015
- 2014: Artifact Evaluation of ISSTA 2014 (Chair), SEFM 2014, ICGI 2014, JPF WS 2014, ISoLA 2014
- 2013: JPF WS 2013
- 2012: ISoLA 2012, JIMSE 2012
- 2011: EternalS 2011, Int. ISoLA WS on Machine Learning for Software Construction
- 2010: RERS Workshop at ISoLA 2010
In the News
- [2016/07/06] The Prime Minister of Lower Saxony visited IPSSE on July 5th, 2016. [Article on tu-clausthal.de]